Professor Chris Raine, MBE.
Prof. Christopher H Raine MBE is a Consultant Oto-rhino-laryngologist, Head & Neck Surgeon at the Bradford Royal Infirmary and Airedale District General Hospital. He is also an Honorary Senior Lecturer at Leeds University, York and Hull Medical school (HYMS) and honorary Professor at Bradford University.
- B.Sc.(Hons) Anatomy Newcastle University 1973
- M.B., B.S. Newcastle upon Tyne University Medical School 1976
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England Otolaryngology 1980
- Ch.M. (Surgery) Liverpool University 1987
In addition to general ENT he has
- Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
- Cochlear Implant Surgery, Middle ear implants and Bone Anchored Hearing Aids Bone Conducting hearing devices
Higher Surgical Training
- Registrar rotation 1979-1983 Royal Liverpool and Alder Hey Children’s Hospital
- Senior Registrar – West Midlands Rotation 1983-1986
Wolverhampton Royal Infirmary, Queen Elizabeth Hospital and Birmingham Children’s, North
Membership of Organisations
- General Medical Council : Reg No.02304809
- Medical Defence Union : Reg No.125210A
- British Medical Association
- British Association of Otolaryngologists, Head & Neck Surgeons – ENT UK. Previous executive Board Member and Treasurer
- European Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology – Executive Board Member
- British Association of Paediatric Otolaryngologists (founding member)
- British Rhinological Society
- British Cochlear Implant Group (founding member and Chairman 2011 -15)
- North of England ORL Society (Past President)
- Royal Society of Medicine (Past President – section Otology)
Teaching and Training
- European Board of examiners in Oto-Rhinolaryngology(ORL)
- Member of Court of Examiners, Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Senior Examiner for Diploma Otology Head and Neck Surgery DOHNS
- Examiner Intercollegiate Specialty Board in Otolaryngology – question writing and exam proofing
- HM Demonstrator of Anatomy – tutor for the Bradford Otological and Functional endoscopic sinus surgical training programme.
- Faculty member and lecturer, ENT Masterclass Courses, U.K
- Faculty member, National GPSI ENT Course
- Teaches regularly at national and international meetings
Prof Raine has an active research portfolio:
- The NATINA study looking at effectiveness of adult tonsillectomy is in its final phase. No future patients need to be recruited. NAIROS is a random controlled study looking at the evaluation of topical steroids on nasal function for adults who might be otherwise have septal surgery. Continues to collaborate internationally on hearing research related to otological implants.
- Random control trial of medication in Tinnitus sufferers
- He has edited books and recently written several chapters in educational books ranging from managing the deaf child to various aspects of otological and implant surgical practice. In the last 5 years has presented 38 papers at international meetings.